- Testing Services
- Credit by Exam (CLEP & DSST)
Credit by Exam Information: CLEP and DSST
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the DSST are nationally recognized Credit by Exam programs that are open to anyone. Eastern Florida State College is an Open Test site, so any student may register to take the CLEP and DSST tests at the EFSC Melbourne Assessment Center.
CLEP and DSST are subject area exams that give the student credit for a specific class or classes. Depending on the subject, a student may receive anywhere from 3 to 8 hours of credit. View the CLEP and DSST charts that list exams, minimum scores, course equivalents, and the amount of credit awarded at Eastern Florida State College. If there is no CLEP, DSST or other assessment available for an area of expertise you can explore EFSC's Institutional Exam options.
CLEP and DSST Registration Related Information
On-campus Credit by Exam testing with CLEP and DSST appointments are available at the Melbourne Campus Assessment Center (MCAC) by appointment only Monday through Thursday at 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM or 2:30 PM. Seating is limited and students are advised to consult with an Academic Advisor to ensure credit by exam is appropriate. You should also review all the information below before registering or making an appointment.
Melbourne Campus Assessment Center - Melbourne Building 10, Room 218, 321-433-5879
You can call for information but registration cannot be completed over the phone. You should review the
Candidate Information about both tests on their websites: CLEP Test Information or DSST Information.
Appointments are scheduled via the Melbourne Campus RegisterBlast online system, which is available for self-service scheduling 24 hours a day, seven days a week and will display all available seats. Students have the ability to cancel their test appointment or reschedule up to 24 hours in advance of the appointment. All required test fees must be paid via RegisterBlast with a credit card and a small handling fee at the time the test is scheduled. There are no refunds for appointment No Shows.
- The CLEP test fee of $90 is paid at the My Account portal on the College Board website with a credit card. A Test Ticket (valid for 6 months) will be issued to the student. Candidates must create a personal CLEP account. Through that My Account registration portal, students may purchase a CLEP exam 24/7, manage their personal account at any time prior to taking the exam, search for test centers, select their score recipient institution(s), and purchase study materials.
- The CLEP exam must be purchased first and the Test Ticket ID number MUST be entered during the online RegisterBlast EFSC appointment scheduling process.
- There is a $30 (plus small handling fee) non-refundable EFSC service fee for the administration of each CLEP or DSST test, payable at the RegisterBlast site when scheduling your test appointment.
- Unofficial CLEP scores are provided at the conclusion of testing with the exception of College Composition. Official test scores may take 2-3 weeks for credits to be posted to the EFSC transcript. College Composition scores may take up to 4 weeks for posting.
- The DSST test fee of $100 is paid at the testing workstation at the EFSC Assessment Center test session via credit card only. DSST test and study information can be located at the DSST website.
- Students must produce appropriate identification for admission to testing. The ID must be a valid (not expired) government-issued ID with photo and signature (State Driver's License, Military ID or Passport). Name on ID must match that of the registered test candidate.
- Personal items must be stored in an Assessment Center locker during the exam appointment.
- External calculators are not permitted during CLEP exams. Calculators are provided within the computer exam. Graphing calculators are used in the CLEP Calculus and Precalculus examinations. Scientific (nongraphing) calculators are used in the CLEP Chemistry, College Algebra, and College Mathematics examinations. You are expected to know how and when to make appropriate use of the calculator. Get more information about the graphing calculator and download a trial version.
- DSST calculators are permitted in the following exams: Business Math, Fundamentals of College Algebra, Computing and Information Technology, Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, and Principles of Statistics.
- View more details on EFSC's RegisterBlast online appointment scheduling system.
Schedule Melbourne CLEP or DSST via RegisterBlast
Military Sponsored Exams
Acitve duty military and others may be eligible for financial support for CLEP and DSST exams through the DANTES program, which provides no-cost education and career-planning programs for the U.S. Armed Forces. Visit the DANTES website for details before registering to take a CLEP of DSST exam at Eastern Florida State College.
If you or your dependents have qualified for DANTES or other military funding you will need to meet specific identification requirements at the EFSC Melbourne Campus Assessment Center. Contact the Center at 321-433-5879 before your testing appointment to review your specific identification requirements. The identification you must present will vary based on each test taker's individual situation.