COVID-19 Update: EFSC's Fall Commencement will be virtual, celebrated Dec. 17 online and with drive-through celebrations on each Campus. The Spring Term 2021 Class Schedule has been released, with plans to increase on-campus courses through expanded Hybrid offerings, with class size limits and safety measures remaining in place to protect against COVID-19. View more details & FAQ. To support Fall Term courses and Spring Term planning, select services are available on campus, with prior appointments required in most cases and facial coverings and social distancing requirements in place. See the Student Services Guide.

Click for answers to common admission questions

Question 1:  How do I start?

To apply for admission you must complete an Application for Admission. There is a one-time non-refundable application fee of $30 ($60 for international students.) EFSC uses a convenient online application system. Visit one of the campus Admissions and Records offices for assistance applying. Please note that applications are processed in the order they were received and application processing time may take up to seven days. Check your email frequently for your acceptance letter. You will need to provide your official, final high school transcripts, plus transcripts from all colleges you previously attended. You will also need to take an assessment test or supply applicable scores, and complete the Student Orientation.

Question 2:  How do I schedule a Placement Test?

All testing applicants must be enrolled as students at Eastern Florida State College. Upon completion of the application form and payment of the fee, you are considered a student. Contact the testing coordinator on the campus you plan to attend, or register through the campus Admissions and Records Office. High school students who are requesting placement testing should direct their questions to the campus dual enrollment advisors. Test dates are available in the Admissions and Records Office. There is no charge for CPT or TABE tests.

Question 3:  When can I schedule placement testing?

After submitting your application and fee, you may schedule your placement test. Allow 24 hours for processing of your assessment scores. After testing, you should see an Advisor who can assist you in preparing your personal academic program plan and register you for appropriate classes. 

Question 4:  Why should I talk to an advisor?

Advisors help students successfully navigate through their academic program in many ways. This includes, but is not limited to, planning for future classes, reviewing current academic progress, graduation requirements, and university transfer information.

Question 5:  How do I set up an appointment to see an Advisor?

Advisors see students on a walk-in basis, but appointments are also available. Each campus has evening advising hours to accommodate the working student.

Question 6:  How often should I see an Advisor?

It is recommended that you visit an advisor at least once a semester to be sure you are on track with your educational program and goals. The wait during registration can be lengthy, so we encourage students to visit Advisors during non-peak times, which is normally between registration sessions. Seeing an advisor before registration may enable you to register online and avoid long registration lines.  

Question 7:  Do I have to see an Advisor to register?

If you are taking preparatory courses or are a first time student you will need to see an advisor. Otherwise, you can register through our secure website by clicking here.

Question 8:  Who is required to complete Orientation?

All first time in college students must complete an orientation. Orientation is done online through the link in the myEFSC Portal. New students will not be allowed to register until they have completed the orientation.  

Dual Enrollment Program students are required to complete a specialized orientation in person. More information, including orientation dates and locations, can be found on the Dual Enrollment Orientation page.

Question 9:  How do I prove Florida residency for tuition purposes?

Florida statute allows U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents to be classified as a Florida resident for tuition purposes if the applicant or the dependent applicant's parent/legal guardian has been a legal resident of the State for at least 12 months preceding the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought.  It is important to note that living or attending school in Florida is not tantamount to establishing a legal residence for tuition purposes. Maintaining a legal residence in Florida requires substantial physical presence as a condition. The determination of dependent or independent status is important because it is the basis for whether the student has to submit his/her own documentation of residency (as an independent) or his/her parent’s or guardian’s documentation of residency (as a dependent). If an applicant does not qualify for a statutory residency exception or qualification and is not an “All-Florida” student, he/she will have to submit documentation that he/she (or a parent or legal guardian if a dependent) has been a Florida resident for at least 12 months prior to the first day of classes for which the student is enrolling. At least two documents must be submitted, with dates that evidence the 12-month qualifying period.  It is recommended that you view the Florida Residency Guidelines for Tuition Purposes for more information.  

Question 10:  How do I get my log in password?

Once you are accepted to the College, your password will initially be set to your birthdate followed by "-Efsc", for example MMDDYY-Efsc. Once you log onto the system, you will be forced to reset your Password. It is important that you remember your password. You can get assistance with a forgotten password online.

Question 11:  How do I request a transcript?

Please see the Transcript Request Page for all the information you need to order a transcript. Unofficial transcripts can be obtained via Official transcripts must be requested in writing.  

Question 12:  Have my transcripts been received?

See an admissions representative. They can verify the status reported on the collegewide computer system. Once your transcripts have been received and evaluated, you will receive an unofficial transcript in the mail. You can also check Florida Shines, the state's online advising tool, to see if your transcripts have been evaluated. 

Question 13:  I want to discuss my records...

Your records are protected by FERPA - The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Because of the privacy of your education records, please understand that academic advising is not available over the phone and only limited information can be shared via e-mail. 

Question 14:  What happens if I don't pay my tuition by the fee due date?

You may be dropped from all the classes for which you registered. If you are dropped for non-payment, reinstatement of dropped courses is not guaranteed. Classes that you originally registered for may be full and you may be unable to get the same schedule.

A one-time per term late registration fee of $50 will be assessed to all students who register for classes after each part of term's published fee due date (the late fee is assessed during add/drop for each part of term). Check the Important Term Dates for fee due dates to make sure you register for classes in time to avoid the late fee.

Question 15:  Do I need to apply for graduation?

Yes. Complete an "Intent to Graduate Application" by the prescribed deadline date in the term you plan to graduate. An advisor must sign the form indicating that he/she did a degree audit to ensure that you have taken the classes required for graduation within your program of study. There is a $20 application fee. If you plan to walk in the commencement ceremony, you will need to purchase a cap and gown from the campus bookstore.

Question 16:  Graduation Ceremonies

Graduation ceremonies are held in May and December. There are two ceremonies on each date. Students who apply for graduation will receive information in the mail. No invitations or passes are required for guests. "Sunday" attire is required. You can purchase your cap and gown in the bookstore; this must be done prior to the day of the ceremony. A professional photographer will take your picture at the ceremony. If a student does not attend the ceremony, diplomas will be mailed to the home address on record four to six weeks after the ceremony. Students who complete their degree requirements during the summer can have their degree posted at the end of the summer term (must apply for summer graduation) and are welcome to walk in the December ceremony. Visit our graduation page for more information.  

Question 17:  How can I get my grades?

Grades are not mailed. After the final grade-entry deadline for instructors, students may view their grades on the secure website by clicking here. Grades cannot be provided over the phone.  

Question 18:  Can an instructor withdraw me from class for inconsistent attendance?

Yes. If you consistently miss class for any reason (usually not more than 15% of class) the instructor has the option of withdrawing you from the class or giving you a failing grade. Read the individual instructor's syllabus carefully to understand his/her attendance policy. If it is your intention to withdraw from the class, you MUST complete a withdrawal form and submit it to the Admissions and Records Office by the published withdrawal deadline. Instructors are not required to withdraw the student from a class for non-attendance and will in most classes assign an "F" for the course. It is ultimately the students' responsibility to either attend the course or withdraw officially. Students who are receiving financial aid or Veterans benefits must attend class. If they are reported as not attending, their funds will be rescinded or reduced, and they may be required to repay any money they have been awarded.  

Question 19:  Can an advisor evaluate my transcripts?

An advisor may be able to provide an unofficial evaluation, but official evaluations will only be done by the Office of the Registrar upon receipt of final, official transcripts.  

Question 20:  What happens if EFSC does not accept a course I transfer in from another institution?

You may provide a course description to the Office of the Registrar for reconsideration, or contact the appropriate department chair to discuss a course substitution.

Question 21:  What is a CLEP test?

CLEP is a subject area exam that gives the student credit for a specific class or classes. Depending on the subject, a student may receive anywhere from 3 to 16 hours of credit. Most exams are offered the third Saturday of the month unless the College is closed. Contact an advisor or the CLEP test administrator for specific information. 

Question 22:  Can I retake any course to receive a better grade?

A student is only eligible for grade-forgiveness in courses for which they receive a grade of "D" or "F." If a course in which a grade of "C" or higher is repeated, only the initial grade will be counted in the student's GPA. Grade forgiveness cannot be applied to a course repeated after a student has graduated.  

Question 23:  Can I take College Algebra immediately after I complete my math prep courses?

No. Students must complete MAT 1033 Intermediate Algebra prerequisite course prior to entering College Algebra.  

Question 24:  Does EFSC offer services for students with disabilities?

Yes. All EFSC campuses have a SAIL: Student Access for Improved Learning office that provides a variety of services.  

Question 25:  Do I receive a refund of fees when I withdraw from a class with a grade of "W"?

No. A student only receives a refund if a class is "dropped" within the established drop deadline for the term. After the drop deadline, no refunds are issued for fee payments. This is one reason why students should avoid withdrawing from classes. In addition, a "W" remains on a student's transcript for any class he/she withdraws from and the "W" is counted as an attempt.