Medical Laboratory Technology: Accepted Students
Students who are accepted into the Medical Laboratory Technology program will be notified
by US mail. Please note: If required General Education and prerequisite science coursework
have not been completed, the applicant should contact Health Science Advising or the
MLT Program Manager, Phaedra Williams, (firstname.lastname@example.org) for guidance and clarification.
Complete instructions to meet the requirements listed below will be explained at the New Student Orientation. The program coordinator will provide the necessary paperwork to begin the process once the student has been accepted into the program.
Students are also required to sign the Technical Standards (pdf) form.
Accepted Student Requirements
Background and Drug Screening
Students eligible for registration to the core courses (accepted as major) will be required to have a Level 2 Background check and Drug screening. Applicants must be drug free and free of offenses that would disqualify them from the student clinical experience in a health care setting. The background check will include Residence History, Fingerprinting, Nationwide Sexual Offenders Registry search and Florida Statewide Criminal Records search. The cost of the background check and drug screening is the responsibility of the student.
CPR and AIDS
Certification by the American Heart Association Course "Healthcare Provider CPR" - All students will be required to have current American Heart Association Course CPR certification and AIDS104/BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS certification. This may be earned via Eastern Florida State College or community offerings (for example, Health First corporate education).
- All students must show proof of HBV immunization or sign a waiver.
- All students are required to show proof of a current negative Tuberculin test. (TB/PPD)
- All students must show proof of childhood vaccinations.
A copy of each must be provided for inclusion in your Health Sciences Campus Division folder. Required before first semester of MLT major courses. (These documents are required as part of the background procedure.)
Accident and Liability Insurance
All students will be required to complete assigned clinical rotations in the program.
Current Clinical Affiliates (rotations may not be offered every semester):
- Rockledge Regional Medical Center - Steward Health Care, Rockledge
- Melbourne Regional Medical Center - Steward Health Care, Melbourne
- Holmes Regional Medical Center, Melbourne
- Cape Canaveral Hospital, Cocoa Beach
- Halifax Medical Center, Daytona Beach
- Advent Health New Smyrna
- Advent Health Daytona Beach
- Florida Clinical Laboratory
- Parrish Medical Center
- Patrick Air Force Base Clinic